Maybe you’ve heard of it or know someone who’s tried. Or maybe you have no idea what I’m talking about. Oil pulling has become a bit more mainstream and I’ve decided to check it out.
Basically, Oil Pulling is the act of swishing oil (typically Coconut) in the mouth to improve oral health. There are different recommendations on duration but up to 10-20 minutes seems to be most common.
What is the purpose of doing this? Does it actually work? Well, there are studies that suggest it does but the jury is still out.
- It “pulls” bacteria from the mouth.
- It may moisturize your gums
- It increases saliva production, which can reduce bacteria
- Can reduce bad breath
- May prevent cavities
- And various other health claims
- I suggest checking out THIS ARTICLE for a review of science backed benefits of Oil Pulling.
Though experts debate on how effective it is, most agree that it is safe.
My personal goal: For the next month, every time I shower I am going to oil pull. I will share my experience and let you know how it goes.
Please share YOUR experience.