People are raising a glass for all sorts of health reasons. From weight loss to digestive healing, let’s cut to the chase…DOES IT WORK?
Well, there are a number of studies that have shown some benefits may exist.
- Does it help with weight loss?
- ACV has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, reducing spikes in blood sugar.
- Studies also suggest that ACV can keep you feeling full longer, which may lead to eating fewer calories overall.
- Digestive health
- Acid reflux occurs due to having too little acid in the stomach. ACV is used to improve the acid in the stomach.
- Heartburn. In my research I have come across many people who claim that drinking ACV diluted in water resolves their heartburn issues.
- Gas. Another claim is that drinking ACV before a meal with reduce gas after eating.
- Constipation. One more claim is that since the vinegar stimulates digestive juices this will help your body breakdown food and ease elimination.
- Please note that these are health claims and NOT proven by science.
- Other Health Claims – (remember that these are not yet proven by science).
- Cholesterol. There is promising research that ACV may lower triglycerides and cholesterol. This has been studied in animals with success.
- Soothes sore throat.
- Improves chronic bad breath
- Boosts energy
- Clears acne
- Relieves dandruff
- Gets rid of hiccups
And so on. People have used ACV to treat just about everything.
DOES IT WORK? Bottom line. There isn’t enough definitive science to say yes. People drink it and feel that they have more energy, less cravings, less bloating, etc. You can give it a try and see if it does anything for you.
HOW TO DRINK IT
“The mother” is a complex structure of proteins, enzymes and beneficial acids that seem to have health benefits. It is believed that here in lies all of the health benefits but this is not supported by science at this time.
Do not drink it straight. The acidity has the potential to cause dammage to your esophagus and tooth enamel. Instead, dilute a 1-2 tbsp in 4-8 oz of water or you may want to try this recipe or this recipe.
Let me know if you’ve tried it and if you’ve experienced any health benefits. And share your favorite ACV recipe.