If you come to me and tell me that you want to lose X amount of weight and that you’ve been trying without success, I will tell you that you aren’t focused on the right thing.That if you don’t shift your focus, you will continue to struggle to lose weight.
- I am going to lose weight by planning/preparing my meals ahead of time, limiting processed food/eating more vegetables and lean protein and by exercising 4 days per week. My plan is: 1 personal training session per week, 2 fitness classes either via video or at my gym and one at home workout given to me by my trainer or a run.
- I will judge my progress by monitoring my body fat %. I will also be aware of the changes I feel in my clothes and see in my body as well as changes in my energy and mood.
- In 4 weeks I will retake my body fat % to see if what I am doing has resulted in a reduction of fat and increase in lean mass. My current goal is to reduce my body fat by 3-5%. I will commit to exercising for at least 30 minutes, 4 days per week.
- Review what you’ve committed to above. This is the time to “get real” and make adjustments. For example; If you don’t like running and you’ve set a goal to run, I would change that to either walking or some other activity you might be more likely to actually do. Maybe you will try running and find that you like it over time but be true to where you are right now. Set yourself up to succeed.
- I will lose 3-5% of my body fat in 3 months.
Use the guide above to set your own goals. Focus on HOW you will achieve your goal and you will the lose the weight.