When you are eating out at a restaurant, here are some things that will help you stay on track.
Be aware of…
- Portion sizes
- Deep-fried, pan-fried, basted, batter-dipped, breaded, creamy, crispy, scalloped, or au gratin and Alfredo or cream sauce.
- Salads are not always the healthiest choice so pay attention to ingredients
- What you drink is often a major gut buster. Soda refills and alcohol calories add up fast.
- Dressing or sauce on the side.
- Ask for wheat or whole grain breads or buns OR a lettuce wrap or salad.
- Sub mayo for mustard or ask to go very light.
- Opt for dishes that are grilled, broiled or steamed.
- Dishes that are cooked with butter can typically be cooked without. Or at least ask them to go very light.
- Don’t be afraid to make requests. Restaurants are very accommodating.
- Ask for veggies to be steamed or sauteed in just a little olive oil rather than butter.
- Ask for steamed or grilled fish.
- Ask for an extra veggie side or salad rather than the starch.
- Drink water while dining out. If you are going to drink alcohol, set a limit and drink one glass of water before you go for a second glass. It will also lower your bill!
Check out these sites for healthier options at fast food restaurants: