Whether you’ve got kids going back to school or you just find it is tough to get a healthy meal in the am, here are some ideas to help you drive by the drive thru, saving your wallet and your waist line.
- Frozen Waffles (try whole grain and minimal ingredients or make your own batch and freeze them)and Nut butter
- Avocado Toast and Hard-boiled egg (How to hard boil eggs and an easy way to hard boil eggs is to bake in a muffin tin for 30 minutes at 350. See pic on the right).
- Egg Sandwich: 1 egg, 1 English muffin, 1 tsp water, 1 or 2 tbsp. cheese (optional), veggies or meat (optional)
While muffin is toasting, crack one egg into a small, microwavable dish that’s roughly the same diameter as your English muffin, like a coffee cup or small individual baking dish. Add the water and whisk the egg thoroughly. Sprinkle cheese on top of the egg (optional).
Place the dish or mug in the microwave and cook egg for 35 to 40 seconds. (You’ll want all the liquid to cook off.)
When the egg is done, remove it from the dish, and place on one half of the muffin. At this point, you can add additional toppings, like spinach, sliced tomato, or sliced deli ham, if you like. Top with the second half of the muffin.
- Veggie Frittata: you can use any veggies. You can omit the cheese. You can add in meat.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fat free or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 small green onion, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ⅓ cup finely chopped vegetable add-ins, like roasted red peppers or spinach.
Directions: Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Add the cottage cheese, green onions, parmesan, salt, and pepper, whisking until combined. Add the vegetables if using. Spray the inside of a mug with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the egg and cheese mixture into the mug.Microwave the eggs on high for 30 seconds, then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. Cook for 45 to 60 seconds more until eggs are just set.
- Oatmeal and Yogurt: 1 packet of oatmeal, 2 tbsp. of greek yogurt. (some fruit or nuts are optional.
- Cook oatmeal in microwave or on stove. add in yogurt and any add ons like berries, a tbsp. of nuts or seeds, a tsp of jam, a scoop of protein powder, etc.
- Options are endless. Here is a great guide on creating smoothies.
So many more but didn’t want to overwhelm you.